Sunday, August 22, 2004

Bowling for Iraq

One thing all soldiers should take advantage of is writing companies for free stuff. Many companies will send you product through appreciation, or for permission to use your letter as a sales tool or proof they support troops. I admit I have not written a letter like this myself, but thats why the odds of getting something are so great, most people never bother. And the moral boost from getting free gear is great.
My free DVD of Michael Moore's Bowling For Columbine came in the mail today (thanks to CBFTW for the tip). It wasn't as blatantly one-sided as I expected. I had hoped to write him back "Ha-ha I got your disk for free and I think your an idiot!" but he implies on the disk i really ripped off the evil corporations he deals with to put his views out. Oh well, at least I saw a burned copy of his 9/11, instead of wasting money. (also glad the people responsible for The Bourne Supremacy didn't get a penny from me) His balance of humor and graphic violence/emotion is jerky but well timed. I liked how he managed to have Marilyn Manson come off as the sanest person he interviewed(in America). At the end I didn't know whether to join the NRA or move to Canada. For now i occupy a foreign country, writing from behind a 50 Cal with my M16 beside me(yes the truck is parked, save your lecture). The movie comes with a bonus disk, I watched Marilyn Manson's "Fight Song" video on it before I came to 'work'.
I wasn't sure when the game would be, just hoped I would get lucky and be outside at the right time. We heard a few rounds go off and they came over the radio to tell us Iraq had scored against Australia. I was praying for an Iraqi win. The FPS (Iraqi police working at our gate) were listening to the game on a little am radio, and started dancing seconds before the sky lit up with flares and tracers. It was great. Besides the occasional wondering where all these rounds were falling, everyone enjoyed the show. I know its doubtful but I really hope they win another game.
I hope if anyone ever reads this, they go out and have a beer for all us sorry sober fuckers here. Bowling is optional.

9 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Blogger 91ghost said...

I look forward to more of your posts. What was your take on the 9/ll documentary? I will drink a Pabst for you tonight (it's all I can afford right now --at the tail end of grad school and a little bit poorer for it). I don't have anything hokey to say like "stay safe" or anything like that...I'll just tell you the same thing I told CB: once upon a time when I was a dumbass 19 year old 13bravo, in the first Gulf War, I used to say a little prayer before I went out on advance party every time - "please God not my eyes, please God not my balls." So, now when the wife says the dinnertime prayer (while I am usually already stuffing my face) I will say a silent prayer too for you: please God not Tortuga's balls, please God not Tortuga's eyes."

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger 91ghost said...

...also, I'll have the wife place a link to your site on mine (I am too fucking stupid to know how to do it myself)

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger mentalmom said...

Found you by way 91 Ghost. I hope you'll keep blogging whatever is on your mind.

I'll check back often for new posts. Stay aware and stay safe.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Shar said...

Hi kilr0y and welcome to blog land.
I too came by way of 91ghost.
Its a pain trying to figure out which way to take a blog isn't it.
Just wanted to say hi, welcome and all that.
I'm a great one for saying hokey things. :)
Stay safe
and sheezz..91ghosts prayer isn't so bad either!
:)

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Sean from DocintheBox said...

I did a 2 post/reviews about both movies, I enjoyed both movies for being well made and even agreed with much of what MM said. Still I'm a cheapo and I'm glad I got it for free too. Welcome to the milblogsphere, I'll be linking you, take care and keep your head down.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger ~Jen~ said...

I found you via the Ghost too.

I'll add you to my military links.

Be careful out there.

~Jen~

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Kevin F said...

Bowling for Coloumbine is a fraud that has been exposed by many on the web.

When you watch Charlton Heston's "speech" you can see how it was patched together from different speeches by counting how many times Heston's wearing different clothes in supposedly the same speech.

Moore is a slug.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Quit Smoking said...

Hello fellow fisherman,

Did you know that 16% of the U.S. population goes fishing at least 16 days a year?

Did you also know that over 75% of the nations fishermen do not fish during "prime time"; fish feeding hours?

Those precious few moments before twilight can be absolutely magical. Even up until 11pm at night, the largest predators of any species feed ravenously.

Don't believe me? Check out Daniel Eggertsen's story, and a picture of a couple of his catches here : "Evening Secrets plus more"

I want you to do me a favor and try it out so I can see what you think of it, and if it works for you as well as it did for me.

You will be one of the first to try it out.

Gone Fishin',

Neil

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Jack said...

My thanks to you and all your comrades in serving our country. I know no system is perfect, but our sytem is and has been exploited by the people in power. We put these crooks in power thinking they will do something to help us, rather these crony politicians just sit behind their desks, and talk nonsense about the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home